St. Louis, MO- If the general elections were held today, an overwhelming majority of Bosnians in St. Louis would support the Democratic Party candidates. About 93% of surveyed Bosnians in St. Louis support senator Claire McCaskill in her bid for re-election as Missouri senator, while 90% support Nixon’s re-election as a state governor, and 86% support the re-election of congressman Clay in the Missouri’s 1’st district. This information comes from the latest Missouri General Elections Survey of the Bosnian population in St. Louis.
While support for Democratic Party candidates is significant, Bosnians in St. Louis are somewhat divided on the questions of Tobacco Tax Initiative and Municipal Police Amendment. About 65% of surveyed support the Tobacco Tax Initiative, while 35% are against it. This is not surprising, considering that a large number of Bosnians in St. Louis are avid smokers. In the question of Municipal Police Amendment 70% of surveyed support the Amendment while 29% are against it.
The Missouri General Election Survey was conducted using online and printed questionnaires between September 17, 2012 and September 24, 2012 among the Bosnian population in St. Louis, MO. A total of three hundred sixty two (362) individuals took the survey that included five (5) questions;
- If general elections were held today, whom would you give your vote in Missouri’s gubernatorial race?
- If general elections were held today, whom would you give your vote in Missouri’s senatorial race?
- If general elections were held today, whom would you give your vote in Missouri’s 1st district congressional race?
- Would you support the Tobacco Tax Initiative (Imposes an additional $1 tax on each package of twenty cigarettes)?
- Would you support the Municipal Police Amendment (Requires that all municipal police forces or departments be controlled by the local governing body.)?
The survey was conducted by the St. Louis Bosnians, Inc. (www.stlbosnians.com) nonprofit, nonpartisan corporation aimed at the enhancing of understanding of Bosnian community in St. Louis through educational, charitable research, scientific and literary programs, presentations, and exhibits. St. Louis, MO is a home of the largest Bosnian population outside of Bosnian with estimated 70,000* inhabitants.
*International Institute St. Louis